“A medium tone purplish-mauve nail lacquer that can appear darker or lighter depending on what clothing you are wearing.” – from butter London’s site
Today’s review is butter London Scoundrel, from the Casual Chic Trio I bought off butter London’s site. As I mentioned in my haul post, I got the trio for $21, which is half off the retail price if bought separately. This color was originally released in their Autumn/Winter 2009 collection. It’s a muted purple cream, which has some slight lavender and pink undertones. There are some slight pink tones when using a single coat, but this disappears with a second coat.
The formula is very good and goes onto the nails with ease. It only took two coats to be opaque. Even at one coat, it had minimal brush strokes and was nearly opaque. A second coat smooth out everything nicely. It dries to a nice shiny finish without a top coat. It’s a very pretty color, great for the cooler months. The shots that had no flash and only used the light from the CFL light bulb in the room, made my nails look darker than the color in the bottle. Shots that had used the flash made the colors match. Otherwise, in regular light, it does look a shade darker in person than in the bottle.
For the photos, I used a base coat, two coats of Scoundrel, and no top coat, but I used the top coat after the photos were taken.
Below are the pros and cons that I had with this product. I had a great first experience with butter London. I’m not sure if I’d be able to convince myself to pay the retail $14/bottle, but I definitely am open to trying more in the future otherwise. I’ll be posting reviews on both Artful Dodger and Hen Party, the other two colors that I got in the Casual Chic Trio at a later date.
- Great formula
- Easy application with minimal streakiness
- Opaque with only two coats. While it could easily be a 1-coater, if a thicker coat is used, two thinner coat would be better
- Dries to a smooth and shiny finish
- Dries a shade darker than in the bottle
- Price: At $14/bottle, it’s a bit expensive
- Its description is a little inaccurate, as I haven’t noticed a change in color depending on what I’m wearing. For me, that happens with the lighting I’m in.
Overall Score: 4.5/5
- After thought: The color is great and has a good formula to boot. It can be a 1-coater if a thick enough coat is used, otherwise it’s opaque at two coats. Even though it dries a shade darker, it’s still a lovely color. $14/bottle is a bit expensive, but it’s definitely worth it if you can splurge. To my knowledge, there aren’t any actual dupes out there. If anyone knows any dupes, please let me know! 🙂